Additional tutoring resources
Restoring teaching positions
Additional Lead Teachers
Magnet program investments
High School learning Centers
Knox County Commission approves $7 million school budget increase, no tax increase
June 4, 2012
In a 7-4 vote, Knox County Commission approved a $404,710,000 school system budget at its special called meeting on Monday, June 4, 2012.
In order to fund the budget, County Commission committed the following:
- All sources of funds and tax rates delineated in the County Mayor's school budget proposal of $397.71 million
- $3 million committed from the Mayor for early literacy
- $1 million in expected Basic Education Program (BEP) funding
- $1.5 million from the Knox County General Fund Balance
- $1.5 million from the Knox County Schools Fund Balance
Key Investments for $7 Million Appropriation
This increase to the budget will allow investment in several important educational initiatives that are delineated in the Knox County Schools' Strategic Plan, including: critical supports for teachers, strategic compensation for educators, interventions and enrichment for students, enhanced magnet programs, community schools, and full-day kindergarten.
Commission has committed to continuing dialogue with the Knox County Board of Education during the next year regarding technology needs and facilities improvements.
Before reaching its decision, Knox County Commission heard two hours of public comment on the issue from nearly 40 constituents.
INDIVIDUAL PDF BUDGET Files:
- Hammond/Deakins Plan